gust 2012
Phra Racha Wang Derm Palace (The Former Palace) is the only palace built by King Taksin the Great in 1768. The Palace was constructed on the west side of the Chao Phraya River at the mouth of Bangkok Yai Canal, next to Wat Arun (The Temple of The Dawn), on the opposite bank from the Bangkok’s Grand Palace. The Phra Racha Wang Derm Palace was the residence of King Taksin the Great of the Thonburi dynasty. King Taksin was the only king of the Thonburi era. His palace was not neither big nor luxurious. It is just a simple but beautiful. Thonburi purposed as the bustling center for economic and governmental activities for 15 years. At the beginning of the Rattanakosin era, the capital was moved to the east side of the Chao Phraya River and a new grand palace was built. Nevertheless, because of its strategic location, Phra Racha the Former Palace sustained to be used by members of the royal family and royal household. After relocated the capital the Phra Racha Wang Derm’s area was reduced by The King Rama I, excluding the two temples from the palace grounds.
When Prince Chakrapadipongse, the last occupant, passed away, King Rama V graciously bestowed the palace to the Royal Thai Navy to be used as the site of the Naval Academy. Specific instructions were given to preserve ancient sites such as the Throne Hall, King Pinklao's residence, King Taksin's Shrine and the Whale Head Shrine. The Naval Academy remained at Phra Racha Wang Derm until 1944 when it was moved to Sattahip and Kledkaew. Then it was moved to its current location at Samutprakarn in 1952. The Academy building, which was originally built in western style, was remodeled into a Thai style and has housed the Royal Thai Navy Headquarters up to the present.
In 1900, The King Rama V handed the former palace to the Royal Navy to serve as the Royal Naval Academy. However, specific instructions were given to maintain ancient sites such as the Throne Hall, King Pinklao's residence, King Taksin's Shrine and the Whale Head Shrine. In 1944, the Royal Navy Academy was moved, and the palace was transformed into the head office of the Thai Royal Navy up to the present. The palace is open from 8.30am – 4pm every day, except public holidays.